9.28.2009

Legends

Photobucket


Often ignored, or not recognized, African American women have been the backbone of our society for as long as I can remember. Being raised by my grandmother, I will always have a great respect for black women. There is a nurturing spirit and a drive about them. We should be more appreciative of the women in our lives, because even though you may not know, they sacrifice a lot for us.

I take my cue from Oprah, (although I'm super late) I've heard all about the Legends Ball, but I had never seen footage of it. Inspiring is an understatement, I couldn't form my fingers to type the words of the energy that was in that room, the love, the support. All of these beautiful successful, young and old and all in between women. They were separated into two categories "Legends" & "Youngins"

The Legends included 25 women Maya Angelou, Shirley Caesar, Diahann Carroll, Elizabeth Catlett, Ruby Dee, Katherine Dunham, Roberta Flack, Aretha Franklin, Nikki Giovanni, Dorothy Height, Lena Horne, Coretta Scott King, Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, Toni Morrison, Rosa Parks, Leontyne Price, Della Reese, Diana Ross, Naomi Sims, Tina Turner, Cicely Tyson, Alice Walker, Dionne Warwick, and Nancy Wilson

The Youngins included Michelle Obama, Yolanda Adams, Debbie Allen, Tyra Banks, Angela Bassett, Judith Jamison, Suzan-Lori Parks, Kathleen Battle, Halle Berry, Terry McMillan, Mary J. Blige, Brandy, Naomi Campbell, Mariah Carey, Ashanti, Natalie Cole, Kimberly Elise, Missy Elliott, Pam Grier, Iman, Beverly Johnson, Janet Jackson, Alicia Keys, Chaka Khan, Audra McDonald, Pearl Cleage, Phylicia Rashād, Valerie Simpson, Anna Deavere Smith and Alfre Woodard,


Just Watch for yourself.





Click the videos to continue watching.

Inspired,
t h e o d o r e

2 comments:

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

OMG I ALMOST FAINTED WHEN I SAW DELLA AND PATTI!

DJAY said...

They need alot more recognition as due alot of real legends from the past. the talent that is in our faces today dont have the depth that was given in the past.